Giving Through the Keweenaw Community Foundation
Impact Community Growth Forever
The Keweenaw Community Foundation provides you a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to giving. We offer a variety of giving tools to help people achieve their charitable goals. You can make a gift of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or other assets to your community foundation. Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law.
Please use the links below to learn more about giving through the Keweenaw Community Foundation.
"I was amazed. I learned I can give to a cause I care about, and, at the same time, realize better financial benefits than if I hadn't."
"What attracted me to KCF was not only the staff, who were wonderful, but the permanency of my giving. Instead of a one-time gift that may or may not do good depending on how well its used, my gift lasts forever, helping my cause forever."
It starts with your call: (906) 482-9673
How to Give Through the Keweenaw Community Foundation
The Keweenaw Community Foundation provides you a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to giving. We offer a variety of giving tools to help people achieve their charitable goals. You can make a gift of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or other assets to your community foundation. Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law. Each donor has a unique giving experience, tailored to suit his or her situation and goals, but the overall process is simple:
1. Contact us
2. Talk about your goals, and discuss options with KCF staff and professional advisors
3. Implement your favored approach
4. Define ongoing relationship per your preferences
Here are the basics—how you can create a fund at the Keweenaw Community Foundation.
You make a gift to your community foundation. You can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
We set up a special fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
Based on the type of fund you establish, you may be able to stay involved in the good works your gift makes possible. You can recommend an area or organization you’d like your gift to support, or rely on the community foundation’s experienced program staff to determine and address the areas of greatest need in our community.
Our board issues grants in the name of the fund you establish (if you prefer, grants can be made anonymously).
We handle the administrative details.
Your gift can be placed into an endowment that is invested over time. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants addressing community needs. Your gift—and all future earnings from your gift—is a permanent source of community capital, helping do good work forever.
There is so much more we’d like you to know. For more information and ideas on ways to integrate your financial planning with charitable giving, ask your financial advisor or contact us.
It is easy to establish your own named charitable fund and it can be done in less than a day. Working with a member of our staff, and your financial advisor if you choose, you will take these simple steps:
1. Determine your charitable purpose of intent.
2. Select the type of charitable fund that best supports your purpose. Our staff will outline your options and discuss advantages of each.
3. Complete a simple governing document. Our staff will help you to complete a document that makes your intentions clear.
4. Select a name for your fund. You can use your name, that of a family member, the name of a favorite cause, or choose a name that allows you to remain anonymous.
5. Depending on the type of fund you establish, you may designate current fund advisors such as yourself and spouse, and successor advisors such as your children. The information will be included in your governing document.
6. Make an establishing gift.
7. Receive a tax deduction at the time the fund is established and when additional contributions are made to the fund.
Enjoy giving through your fund! Once your fund is established you can:
Add to the fund at any time in any dollar amount.
Specify how grant disbursements are to be acknowledged – whether in the name of the fund or anonymously.
If you’ve established a donor advised fund you may recommend distributions to charities, locally or throughout the United States.
PUBLIC DOCUMENTS: Our annual audit, IRS Form 990, and our annual application for the State of Michigan License to Solicit Donations are available at our office during business hours.